Apollo-Ridge Elementary School PTA
every child, one voice
FREE BABYSITTING PROVIDED
Dear Parents and Guardians,
By becoming a PTA member, YOU can make a difference in helping to provide the many wonderful programs and activities we bring to every student. Moms, Dads, Teachers, Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents are urged to join. Decades of research shows when parents are involved, students perform better in school.
Refer to the Committee Descriptions attached and join the committee(s) that interest you and fit into your schedule. Most committees require less than half of day of your time and do NOT require child abuse clearances.
ONLY field trip chaperones or Books-To-Go volunteers are considered “Program Volunteers” because they may have unsupervised contact with students. They will need to obtain all 3 clearances: FBI, Child Abuse, and State Police Clearances. The cost of obtaining these clearances is approximately $50. Once you have the clearances, they will remain on file while your child is at the Elementary School. If you need more information, please contact me or see the link on the A-R Elementary website under “Volunteer Clearances”.
By September 26, 2014, please send the following in a sealed envelope marked “PTA MEMBERSHIP” to your child’s teacher:
- Membership Form
- Signed “Volunteer Affirmation Statement” on the back of Membership Form. (If you would like to review a copy of the Apollo-Ridge School District Volunteer Policy, CLICK HERE.
- $6.00 membership fee may be paid in Cash, Money Order, or Check. If paying by money order or check, please make payable to: A-R Elementary PTA.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Palmer (membership chairperson) at 724-726-7035 or email email@example.com. Feel free to contact me at the contact information below or we can discuss your questions at the first board meeting on September 17th at 6:30 pm in the LGI room located on the second floor of the Elementary School.
APOLLO-RIDGE VOLUNTEER POLICY
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY VOLUNTEER CLEARANCES?
- All School Volunteers are required to present originals of the following background checks at the building(s) for which they are volunteering (the clearance request date must be within the past 12 months):
- Act 34 Criminal History Report,
- Act 114 FBI Fingerprint Clearance, and
- Act 151 (Child Abuse) Clearance Statement.
- Copies of these documents will be filed under the volunteer's name
- A comprehensive list of volunteers for the building will be submitted to District Administration by September 30 for Board approval.
- As new volunteers are added throughout the course of the year, the list will be updated and forwarded to District Administration for Board approval.
- Volunteers must provide their services at least ONE day during the school year to maintain continuity for keeping their clearances valid.
- The Volunteer Affirmation Statement must be signed on an annual basis by all volunteers (both casual and program).
Download the attachments to read the entire policy.
Contact Cristine Kostiuk at 724-478-6010 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the policy or obtaining your clearances.
How To Obtain Background Checks
- Clearance Statements:
As of Dec. 31, 2014, requests for clearance statements (now called "certifications") may be made online at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS at a cost of $10. Paper submissions of the clearance statement request form (CY113 Form) may be accessed via the Department of Human Services (DHS) website and mailed to the ChildLine and Abuse Registry, Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, P.O. Box 8170, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8170.Download and print the form: English version/Spanish version.
- Pennsylvania State Police Reports:
Pennsylvania state reports cost approximately $10.00 and may be secured online using the state police website, or by accessing Form SP4-164 on the state police website and mailing the request form to Pennsylvania State Police Central Repository-164, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9758. Questions about State Police checks may be directed to 1-888-QUERYPA (1-888-783-7972). Download and print the form here.
- FBI Reports:
To request FBI reports, costing approximately $28.75. Find application forms and instructions at https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_pdeNew.htm or by calling 1-888-439-2486.
- Getting Fingerprinted:
Call the ARIN IU28 at 800-282-2846 to schedule an appointment.
School volunteers are vital to the success of our programs. Volunteers who may find themselves in situations where they are the sole custodians of students will need to have valid (less than 365 days old) Child Abuse, Criminal Background, and FBI Fingerprint clearances on file.
Once the clearances are on file with the appropriate building(s), the volunteer need not have to apply again as long as they spend at least one day per school year actively volunteering in our schools.